Self Care on the Cheap – Low or No Cost Ways to Encourage Better Mental Health

It seems that recently self care has become more and more of a hot button topic. I recently was browsing facebook and saw a post about how self care isn’t all “bath bombs and face masks” and that had me feeling some sort of way. As someone who (loudly and proudly) talks about how important mental health is, I love self care. It can seriously make a massive difference in your outlook and life if you suffer from anxiety, depression, and other related ailments.

Self care is a personal and unique experience for each person. That somewhat shady post had me a little sad, as the person who loves a good bath bomb or skincare after a bad day. But I was missing what the post was getting at all together; that self care doesn’t have to be expensive, and in some cases, won’t cost you a penny. No shame in your game if your self care routine involves bath and skincare products, though.

Low Cost Self Care Ideas

1. Go for a day trip to a near by city or town. Explore the area, take photos, maybe stop at a cafe or restaurant or snack. Getting some steps in will help you to feel a little better!
  2. Get your nails done. This one is a little more pricey, but this is one of my favorite things to do when I feel gross!
  3. Get some ice cream! Totally soothes all wounds
  4. Have an at home spa day. Get some face masks from the store, put on some comfy clothes and have a day in. Ah, relaxation.
  5. Cook a new recipe. Just immersing yourself in a new recipe and focusing on cooking can lift you up. Plus, a healthy meal makes everyone feel good inside!
  6. Grab a coloring book and have at it. I love spending some time with some colored pencils and a nice picture, it helps so much to clear my mind.

No Cost Self Care Ideas

1. Go for a walk! Studies have shown that exercise can help you lift your spirits. Plus, walks are good for everyone! Find a local park and take some time to explore.
  2. Take a bike ride. Like walks, find a trail, pack a snack and some water, and get going. You’ll feel better after!
  3. Do a mani/pedi at home. Grab some cute polish, and decorate your nails. I love having pretty nails, and it can help you to feel more pulled together on the days where you don’t feel yourself.
  4. Drink water! Grab a cute tumbler cup, and sip all day long. Staying hydrated keeps you feeling good.
  5. Take time for yourself. Feeling stressed and overwhelmed? Make sure you are scheduling time for yourself so you can destress and recharge. You can’t pour from an empty cup.
  6. Make sure you’re getting the proper amount of sleep. Again, can’t pour from an empty cup.
  7. Take time for your hobbies. Make sure you make time for the things you love!
  8. Spend time with friends and family. Surrounding yourself with positive people can help to lift you up.
  9. Take a warm bath or shower. Getting cleaned up can seriously help you to feel better.
  10. Understand that some days aren’t going to be amazing, and roll with that. Somedays will be hard, but always understand that there are positive days ahead.

What is your go-to self care technique? Share in the comments below, who knows, it might help someone else out!

If you’re looking to shop for some self care related treats, check out this article of mine!

Have a wonderful and healthy day!

20 thoughts on “Self Care on the Cheap – Low or No Cost Ways to Encourage Better Mental Health

1. Lisa says:

I agree with the walking pointer and also I like to write things down and blog. Free therapy Wahoo!

2. One of my go-to self-care routines is waking up a little earlier in the morning when the house is quiet and peaceful. I have a cup of coffee and read a chapter from a book. It really helps me start the day with focus and peace.

3. Im all for the no cost self care. Lol. I like taking a walk and some me time whenever im stress! 🙂

4. Marcela says:

No cost care self for me is reading a good book and relax or I do my own nails. 😀 You are right serf care doesn’t need to be expensive 🙂

5. Natalia says:

I love the ideas you presented in your article, sometimes we don’t realise how easily we can improve our mood. I used to be very depressed and stressed in my previous work and I tried the colouring books. 🙂

6. Christine says:

Marcela spot on! A good book and a cup of hot chocolate and I’m well cared for. 😊

7. Zoë says:

Personally I could get totally emmersed in a colouring book – it’s so healing! And i love that you’re promoting to drink more water, it’s something I could definitely do with. Thank you for the mega tips!

8. A manicure is such a great way to treat yourself

9. You have some great ideas listed here. I agree that self care shouldn’t be all about face masks etc – make sure that you make time for things that you’re really passionate about instead of only concentrating on the things you ‘should’ do like work. Do things that fill your soul!

10. Danie says:

Love these. I also keep a little collection of my fave dvds and I watch them to lift my spirits. Selfcare is so crucial. I did the first suggestion 2 weeks ago. So necessary

11. Niki says:

Great tips! I really need a self care day.. I’ve been a little down lately. I think I might get my nails done or something before I go to my blogging conference next week! 😀

Very helpful and practical tips. Little effort and the whole mood gets enhanced by several levels.

13. Tairalyn says:

One of the biggest take-aways from this post has to be TIME FOR YOUR HOBBIES. Goodness me that’s something I have lost sight of. I need to get back at this!

14. Karen says:

i love this list. im always looking for some self care ideas to keep my sanity!

15. I love all of these ideas so much! I love to take a bath or go for a walk. Or just do my nails and listen to a podcast or something. It’s so important to take a little bit of time for yourself to find some relaxation and/or balance.

16. Marcie says:

I try to drink my coffee while it’s hot. With 2 little kids, that’s quite a luxury and sometimes I run up to my bathroom to drink it in peace.

17. Erica says:

Walking and riding a bike are two of the best for me. They really help me clear my head and feel better.

18. Josie says:

Love all these great ideas! Definitely some I wouldn’t have thought of. Great read

19. You know I think I read that same article/post and it annoyed me lol. I usually go to my kitchen and get baking and/or cooking. But the coloring idea sounds like a great way to de-stress as well. Love all of these tips 💕

One of the few things that I do for self-care is drink plenty of water. I also try to take a walk outside and listen to music.