No Zero Days – My Mindset on Living With Anxiety

I’ve had anxiety for as long as I can physically remember. It’s always been lingering around, not always giving me too much of a problem, but definitely rearing its head from time to time and showing up in annoying ways. With anxiety for a lot of people (myself included) depression can be a serious comorbid problem that pops up somewhere along the way. This can seriously make things more difficult than they were before, and honestly, can make life really difficult to live. Sadly, this is a really common problem that so many people struggle with, but next to no one wants to talk about.

Oh well, I’m going to talk about it, because it’s important. I’ll throw some caution to the wind and just be candid.

Anxiety and its related illnesses have left me laying in bed all day more days than I’d care to admit.  I really had a hard time during my high school years, and really ended up feeling like I was someone on the outside looking in. Things looked up for me once I started university, but it was around then that I stumbled upon someone describing the idea of “No zero days” and my outlook on my problems changed drastically. I would love to think that this little technique has saved me a lot of problems and sadness along the way.

I wish I had a link to where I found this technique, but it’s likely lost somewhere in the archives of reddit. If you know me personally, you know that I pretty much live for reddit, and for once, it came in clutch with an idea that is really useful.

In my eyes, the idea of a “no zero day” is something that comforts me when I can’t really pull things together as much as I would like to on a normal day. All I have to do is one thing that is productive, which constitutes the day as a “no zero day”. For me, usually it’s making something to eat, cleaning up a little, or doing some homework. For others, it might be getting up and taking a shower or something else. It really is vastly different for everyone.

I love “no zero days” because it takes back the little sense of control that I can, in fact, make something positive happen in my life on the days that are more difficult than others. It keeps the day from being a total wash, while also not putting exorbitant pressure to be perfect on the days that are a little more down than others.

Like I said, it really has changed my life for the better, and helps me to get moving on days its too hard. Completing one task for me often leads to completing another, and gets me up and moving and on a much more positive path than I would have been on if I had stayed in bed or not left my apartment. It puts the power back in my hands, on days I feel like I have no control at all. Then, it’s really up to me on how much I can complete, or if it’s day than I should stay in and just try my best to take care of me. Both options are positive and fine by me.

So, how can you have a “no zero day”? It really is all up to you. Pick one task to complete, and then reassess and see if you feel up to another. No task is too small (or too large) and everything counts. Getting up and moving really can make a difference in your mood and overall health. Remember it’s okay to have some days where you just stay put too!

Do you know someone who struggles with similar issues, or do you yourself? What are your favorite ways to combat anxiety or other similar conditions? Share in the comments below, I would love to know and try out some new techniques!

Happy Tuesday!

Em

39 thoughts on “No Zero Days – My Mindset on Living With Anxiety

1. Sandy says:

I like your suggestion in one task at a time. I experience anxiety too. Not severely but definitely noticeable. To the point where I can get nothing done sometimes especially if I feel overwhelmed with too much to do. I try to distract myself as Best as i can with Something entirely different. This helps most times.

1. Emily M says:

Thanks for stopping by Sandy!

2. Christine says:

I too struggle with anxiety. I worry about what WILL happen in the future and about things that are out of my control. Control seems to feed my anxiety. What I do to tame my anxiety is read lots of inspirational quotes to help change my mindset and to put things into perspective. I try to live in the present moment and trust that the universe has "got this." From my experience I learned that everything turns out the way it is supposed to be. So I plan the unexpected and expect to be surprised. 🙂

1. Emily M says:

That’s so awesome that you found something that works for you Christine!

3. hal says:

I give you so much credit for your honest – living with anxiety can be so hard – I have a close coworker who has very similar struggles & she’s read all sort of books on the topic – she especially loved "The Power"

1. Emily M says:

I’ll have to look into it!

4. Mary says:

I’m so happy your doing better!

1. Emily M says:

Thanks Mary!!

5. Dionne says:

I hope your next zero day provides all of the comfort that you need. You are brave for speaking up, and I wish you days of bravery ahead. <3 <3

1. Emily M says:

6. Brenda Burns says:

This sounds like such a good idea. I plan on implementing this into my off days. Thank you so much for posting this!

1. Emily M says:

I hope it works for you Brenda!

7. justine says:

yes yes yes! I hope for many more "no zero days" if you need it. and a relaxing day if you do. speaking about anxiety really helps people that are dealing with it that don’t know it yet. while i have never dealt with this issue, i know a lot of my friends in college have.

1. Emily M says:

It affects more people than you would think!

8. Cassie says:

One of the things I love most about blogging is that you get to know there are more people out in this world that can relate to you than you think. Everyone struggles with something and it’s wonderful that you’re sharing your story with others. I wish you the best of luck with all you do! 🙂

1. Emily M says:

Thanks Cassie!

9. Shauna says:

Such a great technique for managing anxiety, I actually use a similar technique and make sure to leave myself time to relax to not over work myself. I also find that staying active has made a huge difference with managing any anxiety or stress I may be experiencing. Great post!

1. Emily M says:

Staying active is so pivotal.

10. Bettie says:

I like this idea of no zero days! I’ve been struggling with anxiety to! I always take a really short nap when I feel anxious and it really helps:) Or when I can’t take a nap I try to think of beautiful things.

1. Emily M says:

Bettie;

I hope you feel better! Once you find something that works, you’ll feel much much better.

11. I think I’ve had anxiety longer than I even knew how to identify it. In fact, I’m still trying to figure out how it works. I don’t have it like most people, like how you describe but it’s definitely there. I really love how you’re not afraid to talk about it. I wish more people would seriously talk about it. When I talk about it I get those looks – you know the ones. It’s like I’m crazy for feeling this way and only people who have it understand. I’m so happy that you’ve found something that works for you and gives you a lifeline. Because even if it’s small it helps.

1. Emily M says:

Hi Christina;

Talking about things like anxiety is so important because it still holds some silly stigma when it shouldnt. I hope you find something that helps; it takes time but its worth it!

12. I have suffered from anxiety myself and just want to tell you that there will be good days and bad days. Don’t give up and you’ll be just fine

13. I love the idea of this! For me, I’ve found that if I force myself to go to the gym (even if that’s ALL I do), it helps tremendously! So I guess I’ve been having "no zero days" and not even realizing it!

14. I like the idea of a no zero day — doing at least one productive thing that makes you feel better (no matter how big or how small).

15. Tanvi Rastogi says:

I had not known this before, but I realized few years back that what I had been living with all my life was anxiety. I have learned to work on it and this past year has been better. A lot of meditation, saying "no" to anything that brings stress and living in the moment has helped. I love your post!

16. Portia says:

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve struggle with anxiety many times throughout my life and it’s a very scary time. What gets me through tough times is listening to some music to calm me down.

17. Cara says:

I have a friend that suffers from anxiety and she gets relief by meditating.

18. Ashvin says:

I love the no zero day idea. When I get anxiety attack I usually put on some music, go to a peaceful and quite room and calm myself down. But I will definitely give it a go!

19. Erica says:

I suffer from anxiety. I’ve been doing meditation quite a bit lately which seems to help. I’m glad the no-zero day concept has really been helpful to you.

20. I spend 15 minute each day just focusing on my breathing, I find this helps me a lot.

21. Dana says:

I like that "no zero days." Making a continuous list of things to do helps with that! Great suggestion!

22. Oh goodness, this resonates with me so much. I’ve suffered from anxiety for years and finally have it under control but I totally understand what you mean. Head up and don’t give up! http://www.aniatravels.com

23. Ivie says:

Thanks for sharing, a lot of people suffer silence.

24. Tara says:

love love love this more than I can say. depression and anxiety can be debilitating – it’s taken more days than I’d like from me too. finding just one thing to accomplish can be all the difference!

25. sheree says:

I have not had anxiety before but would imagine it to be a daily struggle and I admire you for courage and strength to be so outspoken about this and share your thoughts and journey.

26. Marcela says:

From time to time, my head can mess up my plans this "no zero days" is so cool technique. When I have days like these I love to make myself do something that I love and enjoy or going somewhere.

27. Suzanne says:

Living with anxiety is a battle within itself, but the best way to overcome is to BREATHE and do things one step at a time.

I’ve had anxiety all of my life, looking back on it, diagnosed with depression when I was a teenager. The one thing that would help me was to listen to my favorite music and it would all melt away. It might be temporary, but my anxiety and depression is gone.