Chronic Illness on the Bad Days

I try to keep my blog as positive and upbeat as possible. But I also want to make sure that I am being honest and genuine about my experiences, frustrations, and whatever else is irking me in real life. In all reality, there are just some days where having a chronic illness straight up sucks.

I’ve been living with a chronic illness for years now (hey anxiety disorders!) and I’ve found it to be almost second nature in dealing with them. I’ve had so much time to learn and experiment and find the ways to cope that work best for me, and now with celiac, it’s like being set back to the first page. Somedays can just be more difficult than others.

I’ve found myself spending some days just trying to come to terms with the fact that many things that I really loved to eat are a thing of the past if I want to heal properly. I know that I can adapt just about anything to be gluten free, but that is work that I’ve never had to do before. It might sound totally lazy, but you take for granted being able to order a pizza or run through the drive through when you don’t feel like having to cook. Now that I cook every night, I find myself eating healthier, which is a definite plus. But, it’s still hard to not want to run out and pick up something easier. I trust that the craving for things will go away sooner or later, but it can seriously weigh on me.

Any sort of social gathering with food is suddenly so much more pressure than I would have thought. Making things gluten free takes care and vigilance, and when you get together with people who don’t understand how vital it is, it’s too dangerous to just snack on everything. It feels like you’re being forced to be rude to everyone who’s cooked, because you literally cannot eat whatever they’ve prepared, no matter how much you would loooove to indulge. It has social side effects that I never would have expected.

I know that things are getting better and that soon enough I’ll be totally settled in, but in the mean time, I spend so much time just feeling totally drained. It’ll all pay off in the end when I’m totally healed and healthy again, but for the mean time, I just have to accept the bad days as they come.

I know that next week will be brighter and more positive, and I’m looking forward to having happier and healthier days, that are just on the horizon. Sometimes you just need to vent it out, and then you can move a little bit more quickly in the right direction.

Em

20 thoughts on “Chronic Illness on the Bad Days

1. Larissa says:

I can only imagine how hard of a journey that must be for you. During college, one of my roommates found out she was gluten-intolerant, so I was able to witness her journey first-hand, but obviously that’s a lot different than going through it yourself. Myself and all the other roommates tried to be helpful and supportive for her, as that’s not something that you can control – being gluten-intolerant. I wish you best of luck as you continue on your journey, and I love your positive outlook! Keep your head up, and just take it one day at a time 🙂

2. Amanda says:

I have Celiac’s as well and I feel you on ALL of this! I struggle so hard with no longer being able to have everything be so convenient…hang in there!

3. Jeanette says:

It’s good that you are honest and it’s good to vent stuff. Hope you will have a nice weekend.

4. Emily says:

That has got to be so hard to give up food you love. Especially when you factor in The convenience. My girlfriend has Celiacs and she says it does get easier. You got this!

5. Sandy says:

Hi I’m sorry to hear about your struggle. But I’m also inspired by how you are coping and staying positive. Keep up with the great work on your blog!

6. Cristine says:

I have a son who struggles with these problems. So many are great days but those hard ones can really overwhelm him

7. Mary says:

I’m so happy your doing great! Keep your head up! It just takes time.

8. Jereann Zann says:

We totally relate to this. My daughter has celiac disease and we’ve been gluten free for 3 years now. Having your health back is a great motivator, but you’re right there are some days that being able to grab takeout or go to a party without eating before or bringing your own food would be amazing…and that doesn’t make you lazy at all. Sounds like you’re doing great, so keep it up!

9. Priyadarshini Rajendran says:

You nailed it. Very touching post. Even I struggle with some issues and it is great to see your positive attitude, gives me a great boost.

10. Maritza Baez says:

this is an inspiration for all people who have this problem. I’m so glad that you’re coping an open positive way

11. mila says:

I feel you so much on this. I’m diabetic and on the good days I feel invincible, and on the bad days I feel like the worst person. I appreciate your positive and perseverance. It is not easy dealing with something that consumes you every day.

12. I hope you continue to do well! Just enjoy the little joys life offers! Good luck babe 🙂

13. Melanie says:

Sometimes health problems can get you down – it is great to see you do so well and keep upbeat also – good on you x

14. We have to conquer each day the best we can!

Having anxiety really sucks. I’ve been dealing with it all of my life and its a day to day thing to deal with.

16. Ritika says:

I love that you have found yourself a platform to share your experiences. No one talks about the bad days anymore – they talk about the overcoming once it’s been done, but not what they face as they’re going through it! Keep being optimistic!

17. Evelyn Foreman says:

Ah, Sweetie – so appreciate your authenticity. Life is a moving, changing, progressive journey. I am affirming with you that you are healing as you read this message and feeling more and more attuned to the healthy being you are. <3 Blessings and hugs, Evelyn, PathofPresence

18. I love your positive outlook for the future. Definitely the best way to look at things. And I’m starting to believe that I might have an issue with lactose. Generally, this isn’t a big deal for me because I don’t drink milk, but every now and then I eat ice cream (and not the dairy free kind) and then I regret it.

19. Natalie says:

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this! But appreciate your candor and authenticity. Hoping things get better for you as time goes on.

20. Kanishka says:

It is totally fine to just vent out really! And you pointed out well that when you are trying to cut out things from your diet it also brings social issues as you cant just disrespect them by avoiding what they cooked and they never take you seriously…virtual hugs* bright days are coming <3